Fear Factor Fibre - Milk Fibre

Next on the Fear Factor Fibre list is Milk.

I found this very lovely braid of Milk Fibre on Etsy from Moonlight and Laugther. After buying it, the seller started a conversation with me and sent me a link to this post about working with milk.

After reading up on it, I tried just drafting straight from one end. It seemed to draft really quite easily. Especially compared to the issues I was having with drafting the silk so I decided to treat it as usual and spin from one end.


I found that the milk didn't like to go too fine or it would break so I left it a little thicker than I've been spinning lately. Also the milk has a tendency to slip out if there's not enough twist so I made sure I was getting that bumpy appearance to my singles before moving on. I've been using a higher ratio on my wheel lately, so this didn't slow things down much.


I originally planned to 2-ply this but after loading up my bobbin with all the fibre, I REALLY wanted to ply straight away. I just couldn't wait a day for the twist to set and then fight with a center pull ball so I changed my mind and chain-plied instead. I think it turned out really nicely.

Once done plying and off the niddy noddy, the yarn was perfectly balanced. That NEVER happens to me. Milk is some kind of wonder fibre. I wonder if I even need to wash and finish it. I might anyways just to be safe.


Chain-ply
'Faerie Dust' Moonlight and Laughter
100% Milk Fiber
approx. 189.8 yards
15 wpi
3.75 oz.

I REALLY liked working with the milk, especially with all the difficulties I had with the silk roving. The yarn has this nice cotton-y/silk blend sort of feeling and is nice and shiny. I will definitely be spinning this fibre again.

Comments

cauchy09 said…
whoa! that is some seriously gorgeous yarn. thanks for reporting on the characteristics of this fiber. i might try it some time.

Popular Posts